Monday, May 19, 2014

Mixology Monday LXXXV: Under a Shady Tree

I have taken a few months sabbatical from Mixology Monday, but I am back in the saddle again and ready to get this months cocktail party underway! This months challenge is "Aw, Nuts!", brought to us by the lovely Elana of Stir&Strain.


"A few months back I tried, and was wowed by, a peanut-y take on an Old Fashioned at a bar here in LA. They had infused peanuts in bourbon and with a touch of honey had made magic... Your challenge is to utilize nuts... in any way you see fit to create a cocktail. Infusions, bitters, almond tinctures are all game. Amaretto, homemade nocino, Frangelico too. Go nuts!"

I made two successful attempts over the winter playing with peanut and pecan orgeat. For this challenge, I decided to go back to basic orgeat, an emulsion made by steeping crushed, toasted almonds in simple syrup with a splash of orange water. I use the recipe on Serious Drinks, which you can find here.

[As a side note, I did make a batch of pistachio orgeat for this challenge, but I'm still trying to figure out how to apply it to a cocktail. So far I'm loving it on ice cream.]

For my entry I chose to work with Breuckelen Distillery's Glorious Gin. This gin's creamy notes remind me strongly of cream soda. I recommend it on the rocks with a lemon. Or in this drink. I definitely recommend Glorious Gin in this drink.


Under a Shady Tree, MxMo LXXXV, Laura Cloer, 2014

Under a Shady Tree
1.5 oz Breuckelen Glorious Gin
.5 oz lime juice
.5 oz orgeat
1.5 oz coconut water
2 slices apricot

Muddle 2 slices of apricot with orgeat and lime juice.
Add gin and coconut water. Shake thoroughly. Double Strain.
Serve in a collins glass. Garnish with mint sprig and apricot slice.

This drink is light, refreshing and aromatic. It's not overly sweet. It makes me want to find a cool place to plop down and read a book in my mother's orchard. The orgeat adds an earthy creaminess to balance out the fruit and citrus. The apricot plays second fiddle to the coconut water, but the Glorious Gin shines through with its cream and light herbal notes. A perfect afternoon sipper.

Many thanks to Elana for hosting this month! I have more blog updates coming later this week, so stay tuned.


Cheers!

Laura

3 comments:

  1. All I can think about now is pistachio orgeat with some sort of riff on a Scorpion with honey, rum, lemon, and cherry heering...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yum! Definitely let me know how that turns out!

      Delete
  2. Will do! I'll have to make some pistachio orgeat first...but it sounds like a completely worthwhile endeavor!

    ReplyDelete